Thursday, November 12, 2015

The Unknown Ajax - Georgette Heyer

The Unknown Ajax The Unknown Ajax by Georgette Heyer
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

This is the weakest Heyer I've read. I can see why it's not one of the well known ones. Frankly, it's boring! There's way too much dialect (something that I find tends to get in the way in some of her other works as well), and nothing much actually happens. Even the action at the end isn't action. There's some smuggling potential, but that all happens off the stage. There certainly isn't enough going on to justify the hero and heroine deciding they love each other. They just decide it.

I really struggled to finish this because it was so boring, but pushed through mainly because I've enjoyed so many others by Heyer and couldn't bear to leave this one hanging out there. It did pick up in the last quarter, but still was pretty lackluster. Not recommended, even for Heyer fans.


No comments:

Post a Comment